Changes to Typeable

José Pedro Magalhães jpm at
Wed Oct 3 14:17:01 CEST 2012

Uhm, you answered my question already, I just didn't read your email

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 1:01 PM, Simon Peyton-Jones <simonpj at>wrote:

> * All this is fine.  But we don't (ever) want the programmer to write
>    any instance of Typeable; that ways lies seg-faults, since we may
>    rely on their veracity.
I think I agree, but, then again, I have never written my own Typeable
Do note, however, that GHC currently uses the `time` package, which gives
`Typeable` instances (CC-ing Ashley; maybe he can defend writing Typeable
manually). I noticed this while working on the change-over to the
kind-polymorphic `Typeable`.