Proposal: Add getFullProgName

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at
Tue Jun 19 17:54:11 CEST 2012

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 7:53 AM, Heinrich Apfelmus <
apfelmus at> wrote:

> In addition, I don't know how to implement this function correctly.
>> For example, if you alias ghc to another name the heuristic in the
>> executable-path package fails:
> Good point. For the use case mentioned above, any quick and dirty
> heuristic that works most of the time would be sufficient, though.
> Ideally, Haskell interpreters would set an environment variable when they
> interpret a source file.

 * we can't implement this reliably,
 * the distinction into these three groups doesn't necessarily work for all
compilers, and
 * the distinction (I assume) isn't useful in most use cases

I think people who want to use this heuristic are better served by the
existing executable-path package. What do you think?

-- Johan