Haskell Platform proposal: Add the vector package

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Sun Jun 17 13:14:36 CEST 2012

On Fri, 15 Jun 2012, Johan Tibell wrote:

> I am, with Roman's support, making a formal proposal to have the
> vector package included in the Haskell Platform:
>
>    http://trac.haskell.org/haskell-platform/wiki/Proposals/vector
>
> See the wiki page for details, and a list of open issues for discussion.
>
> The vector package itself can be found on Hackage:
>
>    http://hackage.haskell.org/package/vector

I thought about migrating storablevector to vector, but it seems that the
vector package needs some GHC-only extensions like type families. I do not
plan to make the storablevector package obsolete, but I think it would be
useful if both packages would use the same datatype. Is it possible to put
the Storable part of 'vector' into a separate package? Would this one be
more portable?