Proposal: Remove Data.HashTable from base

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 23:16:24 CEST 2012

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 2:04 PM, Ian Lynagh <ian at well-typed.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Historically, Data.HashTable has been in base because Data.Typeable used
> it, but that is no longer the case.
>
> I propose that we:
> * Mark it as deprecated in the base that comes with GHC 7.6.
> * Remove it from the base that comes with GHC 7.8.

Sounds good to me.

We should move some HashTable implementation into containers. I don't
know about this particular one. I'm leaning towards using one from the
hashtables package as it 1) uses type classes which optimize better
and  2) give us better guarantees (i.e. two Int keyed hash tables will
use the same hash function.) For that to happen hashable needs to move
into the platform as well.

-- Johan