Haskell platform proposal: the async package

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 12:45:03 CEST 2012

On 13/06/2012 20:39, Bardur Arantsson wrote:
> On 06/13/2012 02:56 PM, Simon Marlow wrote:
>> I am making a formal proposal to have the async package included in the
>> Haskell Platform:
>>    http://trac.haskell.org/haskell-platform/wiki/Proposals/async
>> See the wiki paage for details, and a list of open issues for discussion.
>> I just uploaded the async package itself to Hackage:
>>    http://hackage.haskell.org/package/async-
>> documentation isn't there yet, so I've uploaded it here:
>>    http://community.haskell.org/~simonmar/async/
>> I have set the deadline to 13 August 2012 (2 months' time), with
>> comments due by 13 July 2012 (one month).  There's plenty of time before
>> the next platform release anyway (scheduled for 12 November 2012).
> -0.
> AFAIUI the HP is for battle-tested code and libraries where you can just
> say "here, use this!" IMO async doesn't pass this test since it hasn't
> seen any real use yet.
> FWIW, the API does look very nice... but maybe we should give it a few
> months of real use to flesh out real-world problems and bugs in general?

That's a fair criticism, I thought someone would bring it up.

So my thinking here is that

  - similar APIs already exist on Hackage, so it's not completely new
    (and that also demonstrates demand)

  - the code is mostly very simple, it's hard to go wrong.

But if people feel we should wait a while, that's fine by me.