Proposal: Add getFullProgName

Chris Dornan chris at
Wed Jun 13 03:01:45 CEST 2012

Isn't this about 24 years overdue? Can we do it now.

(Only kidding, but seriously...)

-----Original Message-----
From: libraries-bounces at [mailto:libraries-bounces at]
On Behalf Of Johan Tibell
Sent: 13 June 2012 00:57
To: Haskell Libraries
Subject: Proposal: Add getFullProgName

getProgName is only useful in case you want to print the program name to the
screen. You cannot actually use it to do anything interesting
programmatically (like execv:ing the program.) I suggest we add
getFullProgName which does the sensible thing of returning argv[0].
Here's an implementation:

getFullProgName :: IO String
getFullProgName =
    alloca $ \ p_argc ->
    alloca $ \ p_argv -> do
        getFullProgArgv p_argc p_argv
        peek p_argv >>= peek >>= peekCString

foreign import ccall unsafe "getFullProgArgv"
    getFullProgArgv :: Ptr CInt -> Ptr (Ptr CString) -> IO ()

Discussion deadline: 2 weeks

-- Johan

Libraries mailing list
Libraries at