Proposal: Remove Control.Concurrent{QSem, QSemN, , SampleVar, mergeIO, nmergeIO} from base

Simon Marlow marlowsd at
Tue Jun 12 13:34:36 CEST 2012

On 07/06/2012 13:46, Ian Lynagh wrote:
> Hi all,
> I propose that we remove
>      Control.Concurrent.QSem
>      Control.Concurrent.QSemN
>      Control.Concurrent.SampleVar
>      Control.Concurrent.mergeIO
>      Control.Concurrent.nmergeIO
> from base.
> Rationale: There is no real need for them to be in base, and they are
> not being well-maintained there (e.g. see [3160]). Chris Kuklewicz has
> already made a SafeSemaphore package that provides fixed versions of the
> 3 modules.

I was going to import Chris's STM versions from #3160 to fix the
outstanding bugs, but I'm also fine with removal.  We probably should
DEPRECATE for a cycle though, tempting as it is to just remove them