Proposal: Control.Concurrent.Async

Ryan Newton rrnewton at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 17:11:26 CEST 2012

+1

> What's the advantage to putting this in base instead of a separate
>> package? If it goes in base, it will make it more difficult to upgrade,
>> and take longer for this module to be adopted at all. If possible, I'd
>> opt for a standalone package.

I thought the idea was that we would try to point people towards using
these as a best practice as opposed to using forkIO?

I find that a helper function to fork a child thread with error handling is
something I'm always pasting into various projects [1], which I take as a
sign it should be easily available.  I never really thought about looking
for better threads packages on hackage, because I didn't want to add an
extra dependency (or deal with something big and complex).  But if it were
standard I would have picked it up!

  -Ryan

[1] P.S.  Non-sequitor: The other little helper function I'm ALWAYS pasting
into files is a function to print large numbers with interspersed commas.
 I'd like to see THAT in the standard ;-), but I realize there are
internationalization issues.