Proposal: Add the missing instances for Traversable (Either b) and Traversable ((, ) b)

Conor McBride conor at strictlypositive.org
Sat Jul 28 10:59:16 CEST 2012

Edward and comrades,

On 28 Jul 2012, at 02:58, Edward Kmett wrote:

> Fair enough. I'll try to switch my development environment around to something new enough that I can assemble a patch.

Any chance of throwing in the trivial instances for Const? (And
how about composition?)

Or maybe they can wait for a more coherent presentation of the
"Polynomial Functor Kit" (Const, Identity, closure under sum and
product).

It's a bit of a tangent, but the context I have in mind is that
all the polynomials are Foldable, Traversable and (the much
neglected) HalfZippable (the idea and the name I learned from
Roland Backhouse).

  class Functor f => HalfZippable f where
    halfZip :: f a -> f b -> Maybe (f (a, b))

which is a zip that can abort in case of shape mismatch. If a
functor is both Foldable and HalfZippable, then its (least)
fixpoint has a decidable equality (you try to zip each node
together, and if you succeed, you foldMap the equality test over
the paired children), and moreover, its free monad (chucking in
a representation of "free variables") has a unification
algorithm.

The Const instances may seem useless in isolation, but as part
of the kit, they're vital (allowing us to add labels to tree
structures).

A HalfZippable proposal might show up in a bit, but it would be
good to sort out the rest of the Foldable/Traversable components.

Cheers

Conor