split package HP proposal, round 2

Brent Yorgey byorgey at seas.upenn.edu
Mon Jul 23 17:33:57 CEST 2012

Hello all,

Thanks for the great feedback so far on the split package.  I have
updated the wiki page with the results of the discussion so far:

  http://trac.haskell.org/haskell-platform/wiki/Proposals/split

In particular, I have made the following changes to the package as a
result of the feedback:

  * Removed the GADTs extension; the package is now fully Haskell
    2010.

  * Marked synonyms as deprecated, and excluded them from the Haddock
    output.  Thus new users will not be confused by the synonyms
    anymore, and existing users will be notified that they are now
    deprecated, but existing code will not break since the synonyms
    are still exported from the package.

  * Many other minor cleanups and improvements to documentation etc.

More details are on the wiki page.  These changes are in the darcs
repository but I have not released a new version to Hackage yet.

  * I am also looking into the possibility of using conditionals in
    the .cabal file to support both GHC and other compilers, by using
    GHC's primitive 'build' function only when GHC is the compiler,
    and otherwise using a generic one.  More feedback on this is
    appreciated.  Is it worth the effort/complication?

Please continue responding to this thread (or the previous one) with
additional feedback, upvotes, downvotes, etc.

-Brent