Haskell Platform proposal: Add the vector package

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Fri Jul 20 20:55:55 CEST 2012

Am 16.07.2012 13:10, schrieb Roman Leshchinskiy:

> However, I'm still rather unconvinced by the whole thing for several
> reasons. The main one really is that in the entire discussion so far
> nobody has said that Safe Haskell support in vector is something they
> actually need.

Since GHC now has the SafeHaskell feature I will certainly check the
packages that I use for proper use of SafeHaskell in future. If I have
the choice between a package that exports all modules as Unsafe or
Trustworthy and a package with mostly Safe modules, I will certainly
choose the latter one.

 > When I asked if someone wanted to maintain the *.Safe
> modules in vector, nobody was interested. This leads me to believe that
> the demand for this is really low and that what time I have would be
> better spent working on other features. I'm quite open to being proved
> wrong here, though.

I remember that the state of discussion was that there should be an
Unsafe module that exports few unsafe functions in the Safe Haskell
sense and that the large set of safe and trustworthy functions should be
exported from modules without any suffix like Internal, Safe or so. Thus
there would not be more maintenance necessary for supporting SafeHaskell.