Proposal: refactor Arrow class

wren ng thornton wren at
Tue Jul 17 13:48:26 CEST 2012

On 7/16/12 3:44 PM, Twan van Laarhoven wrote:
>I am sure there are other examples of categories for which
> `arr` is too strong, but which do, for example, support `first`.

My major complaint with arrows has always been that `arr` is way too
strong. By requiring that we can embed every Haskell function into a
given arrow we eliminate countless "arrows" which obey all the rest of
the interface but which are specifically limited in not representing all
Haskell functions. I'm thinking for example of DSLs. Ofttimes the whole
point of a given DSL is that by restricting to a well-behaved class of
functions we can get performance or other reasoning benefits.

Live well,