safe vs. unsafe (Was: Haskell Platform proposal: Add the vector package)

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at
Sat Jul 14 14:27:21 CEST 2012

On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 3:16 AM, Henning Thielemann <
lemming at> wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Jul 2012, Brandon Allbery wrote:
>  And now I'm having a "so what's the point?" moment?  All this effort so
>> we can just mark random stuff as
>> Trusted anyway?
> Today we have 'unsafePerformIO'. So if we praise the merits of Haskell's
> strong type system and then mention 'unsafePerformIO' the audience will ask
> "so what's the point of type safety then?" Well, the point is that
> unsafePerformIO is strongly discouraged and every use of it should be
> considered carefully.

We've just been told *not* to consider carefully for purposes of marking a
module as Trustworthy; an argument based on considering carefully is not

brandon s allbery                                      allbery.b at