Proposal: add an order-reversing newtype to Data.Ord

Twan van Laarhoven twanvl at
Tue Jul 10 17:28:15 CEST 2012

On 10/07/12 14:31, Strake wrote:
> On 09/07/2012, Edward Kmett <ekmett at> wrote:
>> I would be happy enough with just re-exporting Down and calling it a day.
>> Last time this topic came up it was bikeshedded to death without
>> resolution.
> Why is it called "Down"? Is this a mathematical term?

I believe the Down newtype was introduced for use with extended list
comprehension, things like
     [ name u | u <- users, then sort (Down (salary x)) ].

FWIW, I'll settle for reexporting Down if that avoids bikeshedding.