Proposal: Overloaded Quotes for Template Haskell

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Wed Jan 18 12:25:41 CET 2012

| Simon, the two-week deadline has passed but I'm hesitant to transfer
| this to the bug tracker unless you're on board (GHC HQ would likely be
| the ones to implement it afterall).  Does what I'm suggesting make
| sense, or do we need more discussion on/explanation of this?

Um. What 2-week deadline?  That's for library changes, whereas you are proposing a language extension, which is a much bigger deal.

You have done what I asked, and done a more careful description, but have fallen down on my end: I have not had time to give it the attention it deserves.  I am just _utterly_ snowed under at the moment (www.computingatschool.org.uk).

Best thing is to
 * start a GHC wiki page (like http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Records)
 * explain the problem you are trying to solve
 * describe the solution, with examples
 * link to your pdf
 * do not rely on the reader also reading the email thread

I am interested to know whether anyone else is interested in your proposal.  The more support, the more likely.

I do apologise for dragging my feet, but my bandwidth is limited.

Simon