Wait... System.Posix.IO.ByteString reads data into a *String*?

Ryan Newton rrnewton at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 06:39:14 CET 2012

I was very surprised to find "fdRead" returning a String in the ByteString
version of the library:

http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/unix/2.5.1.0/doc/html/System-Posix-IO-ByteString.html

Unlike, for example the fdRead in unix-bytestring:

http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/unix-bytestring/0.3.5/doc/html/System-Posix-IO-ByteString.html

I belatedly found the below thread when trying to figure out what went down
with unix-2.5.1.0, and it seems that the impetus for the ".ByteString"
modules was to change file path representation, not the representation of
file contents.

But I'm missing why this would be.  If it is a distinct module namespace,
why would there be any backwards compatibility concerns?  And if taking
this one step towards ByteString why not go all the way?  (Especially as
file contents are much larger and therefore more performance critical than
file names.)

  -Ryan