Proposal: Add foldMapWithKey to Data.Map and Data.IntMap

ezyang ezyang at MIT.EDU
Sat Dec 29 15:58:04 CET 2012

Note that there is relevant discussion on the pull request.

I think that a fold which reflects the underlying tree structure is not
a bad idea, but it is definitely not in-line with what the current
semantics of
Data.Map.fold are:

    -- | /Deprecated./ As of version 0.5, replaced by 'L.foldr'.
    --
    -- /O(n)/. Fold the values in the map using the given right-associative
    -- binary operator. This function is an equivalent of 'foldr' and

...to be noted as distinct from Data.Foldable.fold, of course!  So we might
need to bikeshed names.  It is too bad that the intermediate structure cannot
be fused away with fold . mapWithKey!

Edward