Maximum and Minimum monoids

Gabriel Gonzalez gabriel439 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 22:39:49 CET 2012

I'm still not convinced by the Bounded instance for Maybe, which seems
like a hack.  I would prefer to just use the Monoid instance for "Maybe
(Max a)" and just fmap "getMaximum" over the result rather than pretend
that Maybe is Bounded when it's not.

Moreover, the entire Bounded constraint seems wrong in principle. There
is no intuitive reason why some type should be bounded to be able to
take a maximum of a set of elements.  The Ord constraint should be
sufficient to define a maximum.

I also don't think it is a good idea to have direct Monoid instances for
Max and Min, because they behave weirdly on empty lists.  Do you really
think that "minimum [] :: Int" should be defined?  I still believe that
the correct answer for "minimum []" should be Nothing or a similar type
with a distinguished infinity like those that Roman proposed.``