What is the best usage of haskell in terms of build-in capabilities or external libraries?

Strake strake888 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 16:27:34 CET 2012

On 18/12/2012, Peng Yu <pengyu.ut at gmail.com> wrote:
> For example, if I need to use regex a lot, I probably want to use perl
> rather than other languages, because perl is the best in terms of
> regex and have much influence on other languages that have support on
> regex. If I need to do a lot of statistics, I'd better use R, because
> there are already a lot of statical packages implemented in R. And if
> there is a statistical method, it is most likely to implemented in R
> first. If I want to implement matrix numerical algorithm, I'd better
> use Fortran.

Yes, and you must not use any other, ever.

Seriously tho, it's foolish to choose a language for its libraries alone.
The language itself is critical. Libraries can be foreign-bound or
written afresh.
Language features lose; they make it harder to learn, harder to
compile, harder to change. Libraries win; if it has a poor design,
well, find another library.
Haskell mostly does well here, tho it has a few warts, e.g. if-then-else.
And by the way, perl is $#+. Perl regex is broken:
http://swtch.com/~rsc/regexp/regexp1.html
Try this: http://hackage.haskell.org/package/regex-applicative

I never used R or Fortran.

> Is there an application area in which haskell is much stronger than other different languages?

Maybe. Why? Have you an application area in mind?