Add binary and/or cereal to the Haskell Platform

Yitzchak Gale gale at sefer.org
Wed Aug 22 17:20:02 CEST 2012

Hi Johan,

Johan Tibell wrote:
> As I've mentioned before [1] I think binary and cereal should be
> merged.... [other proposed API improvements]
> 1. http://blog.johantibell.com/2011/01/merging-binary-and-cereal.html

Yes, those are great ideas. The thing is, nobody
(myself included of course) has done anything about
it for almost two years. Right now, binary and cereal
are what they are. These are important packages that
are popular dependencies. I observe empirically
that their APIs are extremely stable. Unless there is
new evidence that someone will work on them in the
very near future and change the APIs significantly,
I think they should go into the platform the way they
are now. Or at least one of the two.

I'd like to hear other opinions on that, though.

Better yet - here's an easy chance for someone
to step up, be a hero, and become famous.

Thanks,
Yitz