gearing up for 2012.4.0.0

Mark Lentczner mark.lentczner at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 00:06:01 CEST 2012

It's that time again.... time to get cooking on another tasty Haskell
Platform release!

Here's my updated timeline for 2012.4.0.0, target: *November 12th, 2012*

   - *August 20th, 2012* - Call for proposals for additions and changes
   - *September 17th, 2012* - Call for proposals ends (no more proposals
   considered)
   - *October 1st, 2012* - Proposals decided, Initial version list
   - *October 15th, 2012* - First candidates
   - *October 29th, 2012* - Open issues resolved, Second candidates
   - *November 5th, 2012* - Final release candidates

*If you are maintainer of a library in the platform:* Please start thinking
about which version of your library should be in the release. If it will
require coordination with versions of other libraries in the platform, now
is the time to start coordinating. In mid-september, we will need to hear
from the maintainers which version should be included: *I will not
automatically bump to the latest version on Hackage for this release.*
*
*
*If you are a maintainer of a library that you'd like to be in the platform:
* Now is the time to get a clean version on Hackage, and then put together
a proposal for the haskell-platform list. Please see the process for Adding
Packages <http://trac.haskell.org/haskell-platform/wiki/AddingPackages>.

*If you are part of the reviewing process:* Traditionally, proposals have
been accompanied by lengthly discussions, often resulting in deep API
design confabs. As we are approaching a release, I'd like to ask all to
consider making this round more succinct if at all possible. In particular,
it would be great if proposals were keyed to specific revisions of a
library to be considered. If consensus is that something needs to be
changed before inclusion - it would be best if maintainers took that input
into account, turned another library version and placed that up for
consideration. Please note the schedule: I'm going to hold October 1st firm.

*If you are GHC Central: *I couldn't find a timeline for 7.6. Will that
have hit a stable release by October 1st, or should we be planning on
shipping 7.4.2 (which I think would be fine.)

*If you are a packager or builder of HP releases: *Please review the trac
ticket list <http://trac.haskell.org/haskell-platform/report/3>. Please
edit tickets to reflect reality: Close things that are fixed or won't ever
be done. Edit descriptions with more information if you have it. But most
importantly, please assign milestones correctly: If you are going to fix
something this time - put it in the 2012.4.0.0 milestone. If it is for the
future, put it in Blue Sky.

- Mark "mzero" Lentczner, Chef de la Release