Proposal: New Eq and Ord instances for Double and Float

Colin Paul Adams colin at
Mon Sep 26 17:00:20 CEST 2011

    Daniel> Same. I'd still hate the instances, but my practical
    Daniel> concerns would be mostly covered by it.
    Daniel> On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 10:14 AM, Edward Kmett <ekmett at> wrote:

    A proposal that made signalling NaN the default is something I could get behind.

But how would you implement it without significant overhead?

A quick google for signalling NaNs seems to suggest that on the x86
architecture, you have to set a flag to raise an exception when
encountering signalling NaNs. Otherwise they are just treated as quiet
But you have to create the signalling NaNs manually. They are not
created as a result of arithmetic operations.
Colin Adams
Preston Lancashire
/\   - against proprietary attachments