Proposal: New Eq and Ord instances for Double and Float

Colin Paul Adams colin at colina.demon.co.uk
Mon Sep 26 17:00:20 CEST 2011

    Daniel> Same. I'd still hate the instances, but my practical
    Daniel> concerns would be mostly covered by it.
    Daniel> On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 10:14 AM, Edward Kmett <ekmett at gmail.com> wrote:

    A proposal that made signalling NaN the default is something I could get behind.

But how would you implement it without significant overhead?

A quick google for signalling NaNs seems to suggest that on the x86
architecture, you have to set a flag to raise an exception when
encountering signalling NaNs. Otherwise they are just treated as quiet
NaNs.
But you have to create the signalling NaNs manually. They are not
created as a result of arithmetic operations.
--
Colin Adams
Preston Lancashire