Faster IntSet by using BitMaps in the lower branches

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Sun Sep 18 23:16:25 CEST 2011

Hi,

Am Sonntag, den 18.09.2011, 22:47 +0200 schrieb Joachim Breitner:
> I’d like to avoid the binary search, as it is more expensive for dense
> sets. Milan’s suggestion of shifts by 6 might be a good compromise.
> Another approach might be to first use lowestBitSet to start with the
> lowest bit. In case of only one bit set, it will not iterate further
> then.
>
> I tried adding some strictness annotation to go and see if that helps.
> According to the attachement, it does, instead of 4 times slower in the
> worst case (Size 4 million, step 100) it is only ~2,2x slower.

first shifting by lowestBitSet seems to help noticably, at least in my
benchmarks, see attachment. Slowdown in the worst case is only 1.25 by
now. That is enough for today, the benchmarks take too long and it is
late :-)

lowestSetBit could maybe be optimized further. There seems to be an
operation for that (bsr and bsf), it remains to be checked if this is
sufficiently fast. If it is indeed, then this should indeed by done
inside the loop, and not just one, as Henning suggests. Can library code
easily call such primitive ops directly or would that require support in
GHC?

Changing succ bi to bi + 1 (not included in attached benchmark yet)
seems to have a minor benefit on a pure foldrBits benchmark and a minor
degression on a pure toList benchmark (see plot.png)  Not sure what that
means, probably nothing.

> You could improve the two Bin vs Tip cases. When you are in that case,
> call a function 'lookupTip'...

I’ll do the intersection optimization, although I wonder if ghc would
not do that for me if it were allowed to introduce enough call patterns?

Good night for now
Joachim

--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner