Proposal: Remove Num superclass of Bits

Bas van Dijk v.dijk.bas at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 18:00:19 CEST 2011

On 29 October 2011 03:53, Johan Tibell <johan.tibell at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I suggest we hurry slowly here. Do we understand what the
>> meaning of the Bits class is? Lets make sure we don't make it harder for use
>> for the majority use case of performing bitwise operations on machine sized
>> quantities.

The user of the Bits class is only lightly affected. The only change
she possibly should make is to add an extra Num constraint to the
existing Bits constraint.

Bits instances are more affected because they now need to add:

  bit = ...
  testBit = ...
  popCount = ...

where they could possibly use the supplied default functions.

Do you think these are show-stoppers?

Bas