Proposal: Stop enforcing single-writer-multi-reader file access

Ian Lynagh igloo at
Thu Oct 27 19:03:00 CEST 2011

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 04:55:41PM +0100, Max Bolingbroke wrote:
> On 27 October 2011 16:31, Bas van Dijk <v.dijk.bas at> wrote:
> > Should a Haskell' proposal be filed?
> >

> Ian mentioned this issue in the GHC ticket at
> He says:
> """
> I think the next step should be a  Haskell' proposal to remove the
> locking from the report (including a clarification that a no-locking
> implementation is possible on Windows).
> Some people might argue that we should have an implementation first, though.
> """
> So I guess we are seeing this patch as part of an "implementation
> first" approach.

Actually, I realised when revisiting the ticket that this is really only
a change in the libraries, and we've taken the approach that library
changes are handled by the library proposal process, and the standard
will follow along in the next release.