Proposal: Stop enforcing single-writer-multi-reader file access

Max Bolingbroke batterseapower at
Thu Oct 27 17:55:41 CEST 2011

On 27 October 2011 16:31, Bas van Dijk <v.dijk.bas at> wrote:
> Should a Haskell' proposal be filed?

Ian mentioned this issue in the GHC ticket at He says:

I think the next step should be a  Haskell' proposal to remove the
locking from the report (including a clarification that a no-locking
implementation is possible on Windows).

Some people might argue that we should have an implementation first, though.

So I guess we are seeing this patch as part of an "implementation
first" approach.