old-locale

Ashley Yakeley ashley at semantic.org
Mon Oct 24 09:53:31 CEST 2011

On Sun, 2011-10-23 at 06:11 +0200, Michael Snoyman wrote:
> Perhaps this belongs in a separate discussion, but is there any plan
> to have time provide the locale stuff directly instead of our code
> needing to depend on old-locale? If I'm not mistaken, implementing
> such a strategy at the same time would mean that user code could then
> ignore two old-* packages.

No, locale is not part of time. Nor am I interested in taking
responsibility for it.

According to  http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Library_submissions ,
old-locale is "maintained only for backward compatibility". And yet
no-one can tell me where any new "locale" package is or why the old
"locale" became "old-locale" or what might count as "forward"
compatibility. Nor do I know of any particular problems with it, but
then I haven't examined its subject area particularly closely.

TBH I believe the best course of action is to consider old-locale not to
be "old" or deprecated in any way, and for the libraries list to
continue to maintain it like any other package, should issues arise. Of
course, if anyone has some grand idea to replace it with a new "locale",
that can be considered too.

--
Ashley Yakeley