Proposal: Use time rather than old-time in directory

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Sat Oct 22 23:28:08 CEST 2011

Hi all,

This proposal is to change directory to use the time package rather than
the old-time package. This will hopefully be a significant step towards
actually making the transition in general.

I'm not sure if POSIXTime or UTCTime is the better type to use. Does
anyone know?

I started off with UTCTime, then switched to POSIXTime as UTCTime didn't
have a Show instance. I've since found that actually UTCTime has both
Show and Read instances, but they are orphaned. So actually, if UTCTime
is the better type then switching back to UTCTime would allow us to fix
this comment in hpc:
-- We would rather use ClockTime in Mix, but ClockTime has no Read instance
and simplify the code slightly.

Attached are patches for directory, hpc and ghc.

Suggested discussion period: Until 5th Nov 2011.

Thanks
Ian