Proposal: Ignore sub-minor version components in package id

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at
Tue Oct 4 00:39:57 CEST 2011

On 4 October 2011 08:32, Joachim Breitner <mail at> wrote:
> Hi,
> Am Montag, den 03.10.2011, 22:52 +1100 schrieb Ivan Lazar Miljenovic:
>> > I am only talking about the packages as registered with ghc-pkg, not the
>> > packages as specified by .cabal. In distribution-lingo, the former are
>> > binary packages and the latter are source packages.
>> Would this not make it harder to determine which exact version of a
>> package you have installed?  I believe cabal-install uses ghc-pkg to
>> know which versions are installed, so how would it know whether you
>> have the latest bug-fix release installed?
> no, that would also not be the case.
> Have a look at "ghc-pkg describe network". You see that it keeps track
> of the version in a field of its own. I am only talking about the id
> that appears in the "id" and "depends" fields.

In that case, if the ABI doesn't change, +1 for packages with 4
version components (I seem to recall some bindings package that had a
version ID consisting of the upstream C library version, and _then_ a
4 digit package version).

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic at