incorrect dependencies on template-haskell

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 00:36:25 CEST 2011

On 4 October 2011 05:47, Brandon Moore <brandon_m_moore at yahoo.com> wrote:
> [...]

I see two possible reasons for having it (along with other boot
libraries) still on Hackage:

1) An archive of previous versions

2) In case some other compiler one day supports TH.

> If so, the package should not be on hackage with dependencies that lead
> cabal-install to try to upgrade it. I see three ways to fix this
>
> [snip]
>
>   3) Fix cabal-install to avoid the package.

If ghc-pkg has a notion of "this is a boot library, don't upgrade me!"
I think this is a viable option; it may also make it easier for distro
packagers to be able to determine deps.

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic at gmail.com