broken Monad Either instance?

Christian Maeder Christian.Maeder at dfki.de
Mon Nov 28 14:17:04 CET 2011

Hi,

I was surprised to see my code break with ghc-7, due to changed monad
instances:

With ghc-6.12.3 I have:

Prelude> :m Control.Monad.Error
Prelude Control.Monad.Error>  fail "Bla" :: Either String ()
Left "Bla"

but with ghc-7.0.4 and ghc-7.2.2 I get a fatal exception:

*Main> fail "Bla" :: Either String ()
*** Exception: Bla

I always viewed "Either String" as an alternative to Maybe with a
failure message.

The instance in ghc-7 comes from Control.Monad.Instances:
   instance Monad (Either e) where
         return = Right
         Left  l >>= _ = Left l
         Right r >>= k = k r

which indeed uses "error" as default implementation of fail. Is there
(supposed to be) an overlapping "instance Monad (Either String)"
somewhere else?

Any comments (or notes) that I missed?

Cheers Christian