What's the future of the haskellYYYY packages?

Ben Millwood haskell at benmachine.co.uk
Fri Nov 11 20:01:20 CET 2011

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 5:00 PM, Bas van Dijk <v.dijk.bas at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11 November 2011 17:50, Simon Marlow <marlowsd at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Also, the more copying you do, the less it becomes possible to have a
>> program that consists of a combination of haskell2010 modules and modules
>> that import the base package.  Essentially it becomes impossible to have
>> libraries written in pure Haskell 2010.  Again, I don't know how much we
>> care about that.
>
> What is the purpose of haskellYYYY if it becomes impossible to combine
> (either directly or indirectly) base and haskellYYYY?
>
> Is it just so that book authors can base their books on a stable API?
> If so, why can't they just base their books on some version of base
> exploiting the PVP?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bas

My understanding was that base is large and fairly intricate (contains
use of ExistentialQuantification, RankNTypes, and so forth) whereas
haskell2010 is comparatively simple to implement, so there's more hope
that it could be provided by a non-GHC compiler. In practice I suspect
that it's not often used in this way, but I like the idea.

Ben