What's the future of the haskellYYYY packages?

Bas van Dijk v.dijk.bas at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 16:06:03 CET 2011

On 11 November 2011 15:09, Henning Thielemann
<lemming at henning-thielemann.de> wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Nov 2011, Bas van Dijk wrote:
>
>> I forgot the reason why we need Control.Monad.Instances which exports
>> orphaned Functor and Monad instances for ((->) r), ((,) a) and (Either
>> e):
>
> Compatibility with Haskell 98's Prelude?

Thanks I understand.

What exactly is the future plan of the haskell98 and haskell2010
packages? I understand that the Haskell' Process[1] now only deals
with the Haskell language and that the evolution of the core libraries
is now the responsibility of the Library Submission Process[2]. Does
this mean we stop making haskellYYYY packages?

I think that would be a good thing. Since these packages block
innovation in certain parts of base (for example: getting rid of some
orphaned instances in Control.Monad.Instances or designing a new monad
hierarchy).

Regards,

Bas

[1] http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/haskell-prime/wiki/Process