Can the in-progress ByteString proposals make it into GHC 7.4.1?

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at
Thu Nov 3 13:40:23 CET 2011

| According to the GHC Status October 2011 Report[3], the GHC 7.4 branch
| is supposed to be in "feature freeze" by now. Does this affect/include
| the bytestring library (as it happens to be a GHC-boot library) as well?

Yes, we're supposed to be but we have two big additions nearly ready but not quite validate free so we have pushed it out a few days.

| More specifically, if the ongoing proposals "Add {to,from}Strict
| conversion functions between strict and lazy ByteStrings"[1] and "Add
| NFData instances for strict and lazy ByteStrings"[2] succeed, what's the
| next stable GHC release they're gonna be included in?

I defer to the bytestring maintainers: Don Stewart and Duncan Coutts.

Don, Duncan: were you wanting to get these changes into 7.4?