YAP (was Re: Proposal: Remove Show and Eq superclasses of Num)

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 04:16:54 CET 2011

One caveat with the names involved here is that since we're working in a
constructive setting, we only have access to the non-Noetherian analogues
to these ideas.

We can only talk about finitely generated ideals, etc. so the proper names
drift into slightly more exotic territory, unique factorization domains
become rather redundantly named as GCD domains, constructive principal
ideal domains are Bézout domains, Dedekind domains weaken to
Prüfer domains, etc.

It becomes annoyingly easy to trip up and mention something that was
designed in a classical setting, and some of the constructive analogues you
need lack traditional names.

-Edward