Proposal: Value strict versions of containers

Milan Straka fox at ucw.cz
Sun May 22 12:50:07 CEST 2011

Hi,

> Since there are so many of these functions, I propose we introduce Lazy and
> Strict versions of IntMap.  We should also carefully document operations on the
> IntMap that are strict on all values; for example, filter.  Similar changes
> should be made to Data.Map.

+1

To be more verbose, I would like the following:

- have Data.IntMap.Lazy and Data.IntMap.Strict, with equal set of
  methods (so they can be used interchangeably)

- for backward compatibility, have Data.IntMap as it is, but deprecate
  all strict methods ending with '. In the end, Data.IntMap should just
  reexport Data.IntMap.Lazy.

- the types Data.IntMap.IntMap, Data.IntMap.Lazy.IntMap and
  Data.IntMap.Strict.IntMap should be equal -- so I can use strict
  methods on IntMap someone else created with lazy methods. That is
  simple in absence of type classes.

Cheers,
Milan