Proposal: Make gcd total

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Thu May 19 10:35:21 CEST 2011

| > So if someone actually follows through with this as an official
| > libraries submission (with a patch, deadline, etc.), the odds seem in
| > favor of it.
|
| I'll try to see it through, although the process seems rather daunting.
| It has annoyed me for too long.

I think there is general agreement that
 * The library submission process is too daunting, especially because you have to
   come up with a complete implementation of a proposal before you even know
   whether it's going to fly.
 * The process gets stuck because achieving universal consensus is too difficult
 * The maintainer "libraries at haskell.org" means that no individual feels responsible
   for making a decision on a proposal.

What we need is something to put in its place.  Simon and I have been cooking up a proposal.  Here it is:

	http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Library_submissions/NewDraft

It is aimed just at libraries whose maintainer is listed as libraries at haskell.org.  (The thousands of other libraries with named maintainers can obviously do whatever their maintainer wants, although perhaps this new draft may be useful for them too.)

It's a draft.  What do you think of it?  Do you think it would be better than the status quo?  Can you suggest any improvements?

ALSO: does anyone (or two or three people) want to volunteer to act as maintainer for any of the "Volunteer needed" packages?  Johan, I was thinking you might serve for 'containers', perhaps in harness with someone else since it is such a crucial package.

Simon