Proposal: POSIX process group API reform

Favonia favonia at gmail.com
Thu May 12 05:18:10 CEST 2011

Thanks for the feedback. I agree that newtype stuffs can be discussed
in another proposal. Let's focus on the package unix now.

I agree with most of your suggestion except the name
newProcessGroup[For]. I would rather only introduce
createProcessGroupFor and deprecate createProcessGroup for following
reasons:

(1) "create" seems to be more consistent than "new" with the rest of
the API; there is "createSession" and the committed patch in trac
#3994 is using the flag create_group.

(2) People who really want the new functionality of createProcessGroup
can just write createProcessGroupFor =<< getProcessID. This expression
should be future-proof.

In summary here is the full list of proposed changes in the first stage:

getProcessGroupID => same
getProcessGroupIDOf => new
createProcessGroup => deprecated; will be changed in the future
createProcessGroupFor => same as the old createProcessGroup
joinProcessGroup => same
setProcessGroupID => deprecated; will be changed in the future
setProcessGroupIDOf => same as the old setProcessGroupID

The previous patches on the trac actually already preserved
setProcessGroupID and createProcessGroup for backward compatibility.
(Sorry that I did not mention this.) All the patches have been tested
and updated with better documentation.

Regards,
Favonia