Proposal: add ByteString support to unix:System.Posix.IO API

Sittampalam, Ganesh ganesh.sittampalam at credit-suisse.com
Fri Mar 4 09:29:14 CET 2011

We don't need to stop-the-world, but we can at least agree a general
policy in advance of starting to make such changes.

In this specific case the unicode/byte mismatch means there's a strong
case for doing it anyway; but one might argue for replacing String with
[Char8] instead of removing it completely. Again, if we had a generally
agreed approach to what "string" types to support, we could justify
individual decisions like this easily by reference to that policy.