genBits: small addition to random API + largely new implementation that needs code review

Ryan Newton rrnewton at
Wed Jun 29 19:41:48 CEST 2011

> Still, for a very cheap source generating on a larger interval than you
> desired one, it likely wouldn't compete with the classic modulus, test, and
> throw away and repeat if not acceptable approach.  Way more flexible
> though.

This was educational.  I didn't know that approach was "classic".  I used it
because it seemed intuitive and I checked and saw that GMP does the same
thing for *mpz_urandomm*.

But I like the idea of using that leftover randomness!