GHC and Haskell 98

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 17:42:18 CEST 2011

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 11:11, Jacques Carette <carette at mcmaster.ca> wrote:
> they chose to stick to pure Haskell 98.  Plan B is actually more fragile in
> that respect, in that if they forget to be really really explicit about
> their code being pure Haskell 98, the resulting compilation errors do not
> make it obvious that that is actually the problem.  This will in fact only
> get worse as time goes by.

This is a very good point that is glossed over by the proposal:  is
Haskell 98 the default or is the current Haskell standard the default,
and how do we handle existing code bases that might be broken by
incompatible changes (the point of this discussion)?  It's really the
same question seen from a higher level.

--
brandon s allbery                                      allbery.b at gmail.com