Proposal: keep Data.Map.foldWithKey

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at earth.li
Sat Jan 15 16:52:28 CET 2011

On Fri, 14 Jan 2011, Ross Paterson wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 12:32:29PM +0100, Christian Maeder wrote:
>> I wouldn't mind the additions even if committed for ghc-7.0.2, but can
>> we please start deprecations a major release later (and revert the
>> current spurious deprecation of Data.Map.foldWithKey).
>
> We can't do additions until 7.2 either.  We're talking about deprecations
> for 7.2 and removals in 7.4.  If we decide to do that, surely it would
> make sense for the deprecation of Data.Map.foldWithKey to stay in.

Deprecation only makes sense if there's an alternative. The argument here
is that there's no "portable" alternative to foldWithKey, and so it
shouldn't be deprecated. Under those circumstances, undeprecating for
7.0.2 and redeprecating along with the additions in 7.2 would seem like a
reasonable approach.

Ganesh