Proposal: keep Data.Map.foldWithKey

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Fri Jan 14 16:10:06 CET 2011

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 03:15:56PM +0100, Christian Maeder wrote:
> Am 14.01.2011 14:30, schrieb Sittampalam, Ganesh:
> > Is it actually possible to get this change (removal of the deprecation)
> > in to 7.0.2/the next HP?
>
> Doesn't this proposal make it possible?

We try not to change the APIs of libraries that come with GHC within a
GHC major release, so that if something compiles with one minor release
then it'll also compile with another.

We do occasionally make exceptions (and most compiler bugfixes etc are
effectively exceptions), if there is strong motivation to do so. Given
how contentious this proposal has been, personally I don't think there
is a strong case for making an exception, though.

Thanks
Ian