Proposal: keep Data.Map.foldWithKey

Sittampalam, Ganesh ganesh.sittampalam at credit-suisse.com
Fri Jan 14 08:56:30 CET 2011

Gregory Collins wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 8:12 PM, Christian Maeder
> <Christian.Maeder at dfki.de> wrote:
>> Asking for support again (or withdrawals of "no"s)
>
> So if the vote/discussion doesn't go as you like, you bring it up
> again until people are too tired to argue with you anymore?
>
> Still no from me. My preferred resolution would be to remove
> foldWithKey from Intmap also. And I point to this thread as an
> example of the morass that is our current libraries process :(

This isn't aimed at you specifically, but I suggest that if someone
objects to a proposal on the grounds that an alternative route is
better, they should actually propose that so that we can have a proper
debate between the alternatives.

Removing foldWithKey from IntMap would (arguably) require foldrWithKey
and foldlWithKey to be exposed instead. It seems Milan raised this in
http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/libraries/2010-September/014410.html
and there was no objection, but nothing further was done.

Previous to that there was apparently a patch in
http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/3999 - it seems to have been
proposed in
http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/libraries/2010-April/013541.html
without objections, but was never applied and I suspect the code has
moved on enough that it can't just be applied as is any more.

If we do nothing at all, then we have a situation that is (IMO) worse
than either going back or going forwards. If noone wants to push through
the changes that are needed to move forwards, we should go back until
someone is ready.

Cheers,

Ganesh