multiple cabal files in one directory?

Mario Blažević mblazevic at stilo.com
Tue Jan 11 02:54:00 CET 2011

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 6:16 PM, Duncan Coutts <duncan.coutts at googlemail.com
> wrote:

> My plan for the command line interface is that cabal
> configure/build/install in a dir with multiple .cabal files will act
> on all of them. Individual packages, or components within packages
> will be selectable by name, e.g. "cabal configure" (configures all
> packages) "cabal build foo" (builds just target foo).

+1. This would perfectly fit and improve on my current mode of operation.

I'm not quite sure how to handle name clashes, but I expect we can
> work something out. For example, a package A containing exe A and B.
> Does A refer to the package (components A and B) or just to the
> component A?

I would assume the package, because Cabal is normally all about packages.
You can't specify you want to build a particular executable at the moment,
can you?

Would Cabal in your scheme track dependencies between multiple packages
sharing the same repository? If I have multiple related packages in a single
directory, will "cabal build foo" automatically configure and build all
packages that foo depends on? How will you hide the module files of all
other packages from the compiler while it's building one? I assume you'll
copy all the current module files into a separate directory tree before
compiling?