multiple cabal files in one directory?

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Sat Jan 8 00:38:30 CET 2011

On Fri, 7 Jan 2011, Kathleen Fisher wrote:

> Is it possible to have a directory with multiple cabal files, telling
> cabal which file to use for a given install request by passing in a
> flag, say something like:
>
>> cabal install -f pads.cabal
> or
>> cabal install -f forest.cabal
>
> In other words, something like the -f option in make.
>
> I looked through the cabal documentation, but didn't see an option for
> specifying the cabal file to use.  Did I just fail to see the proper
> flag?  or does it not exist?

I think it does not exist.

>  If it doesn't, is that just because it
> hasn't been implemented, or is there a Good Reason?

If you tell what you are intending, then we can certainly find a solution
using existing Cabal features. So far I could describe the things I wanted
using Cabal flags. For instance I can choose the Hs-Source-Dirs depending
on a flag. I can switch on and off building of an executable and its
dependencies using a flag. There are other things that could be done with
flags, but should not be done, e.g. providing different APIs depending on
a flag.

http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Cabal/Developer-FAQ