Proposal: Change to library proposal process

Chris Dornan chris at chrisdornan.com
Thu Jan 6 21:11:14 CET 2011

Speaking as such a developer,  I agree with Howard: can we please strongly
encourage upwards compatibility in API changes and well-documented migration
paths when this is not practical.

I was somewhat surprised to see maintainers being given carte blanche to
break APIs, package-maintainers and developers not always having the same
interests.

It could take only a few package maintainers to get it wrong over several
revisions and Hackage and maybe Haskell Platform could get a reputation for
instability.

Is it understood that any changes that could break code must break the code
statically?

Chris