Proposal: deepseq should not depend on containers

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 23:10:54 CET 2011

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 9:24 PM, Ian Lynagh <igloo at earth.li> wrote:
> However, I think types in the GHC bootlibs should be an exception to
> this rule. Otherwise any classes that someone wants the bootlibs to have
> an instance for will need to be added to the bootlibs, and we'd like to
> keep the set of bootlibs as small as possible.

What would happen if GHC HQ find an interesting package on Hackage and
put it in bootlib because they found it useful for GHC? Would that
library author then not be allowed to add new dependencies to his/her
package? I find that to be quite a weird model. Normally you don't get
to dictate what the respective authors of packages you depend on do
with their packages. (You can ask nicely of course.)

The reason I want to get rid of the container dependency is that I
don't want the data structure package I'm working depend on another
data structure package that provides similar functionality. That
seems, weird. I'd rather just skip the NFData instances.

Cheers,
Johan