Proposal: Change to library proposal process

Ben midfield at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 18:01:17 CET 2011

i'm butting in here when i really have no right, as i am just a user of libraries, but it might be useful to compare the various proposals with other open source projects out there, just for perspective.

in particular, i've had the pleasure of lurking on the postgresql developer's mailing list for a while now, and the level of quality control of their code base is impressive, if rather intimidating.  new ideas, features, and patches are shot down more often than not, rather loudly at times, and even experienced developers usually get their patches rejected or returned for revision, for length, understandability, and other stylistic reasons.  i'm not sure if i have seen a single feature or patch come through without some revision, requested by or implemented by a reviewer.  patches are reviewed by a committee, each patch is given a round-robin of randomly selected reviewers; development as a whole stops periodically in CommitFests and someone is assigned to manage that process, push patches through the reviewing process, et cetera.

admittedly, postgresql is a much different system than libraries -- a very mature, monolithic and complicated program where it is very easy to introduce subtle bugs, and where bugs have a pretty high cost.  and their process is by no means perfect -- it took them years to get a standard replication system in place.  but as a postgres user, i really appreciate their quality control, especially having witnessed replication disasters in other free databases.  it should be said that they seem to be able to regularly push out releases with lots of new features, and they do seem to get a steady trickle of new people who are interested in tackling bugs and new features.

as a haskell lover and a user of libraries, i also appreciate the efforts to keep libraries to a higher standard.  if it means a little bit of bike-shedding and bureaucracy, that seems totally worth it.

of course, i'm talking past my pay grade here so i could be completely off-base.

best, ben