Proposal: Applicative => Monad: Call for consensus

roconnor at theorem.ca roconnor at theorem.ca
Wed Jan 5 17:04:03 CET 2011

On Tue, 4 Jan 2011, Iavor Diatchki wrote:

> Hello, I am also skeptical about the need to add "join" to the monad
> class.  My reasoning is that I doubt that one can define an instance
> where "join" and "bind" perform differently, so we are just adding
> overhead, both cognitive (because the Monad class get more complex) and
> resource-wise (because dictionaries need to carry an additional method).

In my completion monad, "join" is more efficent than "bind id"

Here are the functions (see Chapter 10 of <http://r6.ca/thesis.pdf>):

return a = \eps -> a
fmap f x = \eps -> f (x ((modulus f eps)/2))
join x   = \eps -> x (eps/2) (eps/2)
bind f x = join (fmap f x)

Now look at the value of "bind id x"

bind id x = join (fmap id x)
           = \eps -> (fmap id x) (eps/2) (eps/2)
           = \eps -> id (x ((modulus id (eps/2)/2)) (eps/2)
           = \eps -> id (x ((id (eps/2)/2)) (eps/2)  -- modulus id = id
           = \eps -> x (eps/4) (eps/2)

compared with

join x    = \eps -> x (eps/2) (eps/2)

The two results are equivalent under the equivalence relation for
completion type:

     x == y iff forall eps1 eps2. |(x eps1) - (y eps2)| <= eps1 + eps2.

but the direct definition of join is more efficent than the definition
using bind id.

(as an aside, one would think (or at least I thought) that one could define
    fmap f x = \eps -> f (x (modulus f eps))
and then join and bind id would be equivalent.  But it turns out that this
definition of fmap doesn't work in general.  See the paragraph after
Definition 10.14 on page 71 of my thesis for a counterexample.)